Traditional microneedling is used to treat everything from age spots and wrinkles to scarring and certain forms of hyperpigmentation. PRP can boost these effects and help you achieve your desired results faster.
Although microneedling can be used to treat scars and stretch marks on other areas of the body, most studies with PRP and scars seem to be focused on the treatment of the face.
The term vampire facial is typically used to refer to microneedling with PRP used topically, afterward.
Most patients are good candidates for this type of procedure, with few contraindications to treatment existing.
It may not be the best option for you if you:
- are pregnant
- use or recently used Accutane for acne
- still have active acne resulting in new scarring
- have certain skin conditions, such as facial eczema or rosacea
- scar easily
- have a history of poor wound healing
- have undergone skin radiation in the last 12 months
An evaluation of your medical history helps determine if you’re a good candidate for microneedling with PRP.